PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:33 am 

Attachment:
Leeds Mercury.jpg
Leeds Mercury.jpg [ 234.27 KiB | Viewed 6152 times ]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Nelson's Three Right Arms
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:09 am 
Site Admin

Many thanks for that interesting post, Ed.

It's also well known that Nelson also referred to Berry as his right hand on the occasion when he met the King. When the King observed that Nelson had lost his right arm Nelson replied, 'But not my right hand, Sire. May I present Captain Berry'.

The story of Ball supporting a frightened youngster in his first encounter with an enemy is similar to one in which Nelson cheered a scared looking lad by noting that a monarch who was subsequently named The Bold ran away when he first met an enemy. But Nelson 'patting the boy on the head', said, We can expect great things of you'.

I'm pressed for time as always so can't check the exact reference. Will do it as soon as I have time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:57 am 

Ed,

Thanks for that. Anna beat me to it, regarding the meeting with George lll and his remark about Captain Berry. However, I have not heard of this quote of Nelson's before and it seems rather strange that he refers to 'three' right arms, including the one left to him, which was clearly missing then – or am I missing something (luckily not an arm though)! :?

I would think that many young officers looked up to their captains for guidance and wisdom, not only to Nelson.

In passing, I have often thought what a pity it was that Nelson's right arm were not tipped overboard off Tenerife, instead of being being placed next to a dead midshipman in his coffin (I think it was). If that were the case, I am sure someone would long since have funded had an expedition to try and find it!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

I recall reading that Nelson was approached by an old seaman on one occasion who produced a piece of lace from his pocket and declared he had torn it from the cuff of Nelson's sleeve when his amputated arm was disposed of. Again, I can't locate the reference but will if anyone really wants to know.