Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Can you identify the Location
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:05 pm 

The following is a quote from the Caledonian Mercury newspaper, dated Sat July 10, 1802.

LONDON – July 7

Admiral Lord Keith arrived at St Helen’s on Saturday evening [26 Jun or 3 Jul] in the Foudroyant of 80 guns, Captain Searle. She sailed from Gibraltar on the 20th day of June [Sunday], at which time his Royal Highness the Duke of Kent, and the garrison were in good health; there was a free communication between the English and Spanish officers, and mutual compliments and civilities were continually exchanging.
We are happy to learn that Lord Keith is in good health.
The Foudroyant left in Gibraltar Bay the Dragon, Superb, Europa, and Thetis; the two latter were bound to England, with a battalion of the 40th and a detachment of the 79th. The Genereux, with troops from Minorca for England, was going into Gibraltar when the Foudroyant sailed; she has brought home a detachment of limited service men from the 5th Regiment.

The following letter is from an officer in the garrison --

"This letter will go by the Foudroyant, having Lord Keith's flag on board as his Lordship sails for England the first fair wind, the island of Elba being now evacuated by our troops, and taken possession of by the French.

"Lord Keith’s orders were to remain here till he heard of the evacuation of the island of Elba being peaceably effected, as the French troops continued in the trenches, within 300 yards of the fort, with all their artillery mounted in the batteries, the same as during the siege.

"By the last accounts from Malta, which are dated the 28th May; no preparations whatever were making for evacuating that island, nor was it supposed it would be done for a length of time. As not a single Knight had returned, nor was there any appearance of the Maltese attempting to raise their proportion of troops, as settled by the definitive treaty.

"Sir Alexander Ball is daily expected here on his way to Malta, where he is appointed resident Minister to the new order, which is to be formed. Such a choice is highly judicious, as no man could have been selected better qualified to counteract the intrigues of France in that island, and the Maltese are justly attached to him in the highest degree, and look up to him as their protector and deliverer from their former oppressors."[/i]

My question: Where is the garrison mentioned above that the officer writes from?
Any ideas.
P.S.
Was there a garrison in Gibraltar named St Helen's??

Last edited by EMP on Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Can you identify the Location
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:14 am 

Ed, I rather think the officer might actually be referring to the garrison of Porto Ferrajo, and that Keith had ordered the garrison to remain manned until the rest of the island had safely been evacuated.

Regarding St Helen's, would the context by any chance allow this to refer to a person rather than a place? The one that springs to attention is Lord St Helen's, ambassador to Russia, at St Petersburg negotiating the proposals for Malta in the Peace of Amiens. Just a thought...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:24 am 

Sorry Tony, I've just found the preceeding text and have added to my original.
It probably confuses things even more :shock:
I have added dates and days in square [brackets]
See what you think.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:16 am 

Sorry, I skipped the obvious answer first time round. St Helen's is the Isle of Wight - no connection with the besieged garrison.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:50 am 

Ed,

Yes, I had been thinking the same as Tony. The St Helens referred to would have been the anchorage off the Isle of Wight, near to Spithead, where many ships and fleets either arrived or left from.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:31 am 

EMP wrote:
My question: Where is the garrison mentioned above that the officer writes from?
Any ideas.

Thanks to both of you.
Am I being a bit slow here or can I assume that the garrison is in fact Gibraltar that this officer writes!

It's amazing what you can glean when all one originally wanted was a heading to a letter!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:54 am 

Well yes, I think the full text does sound like he is writing from the garrison at Gibraltar.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:58 pm 

Ed, This may be an interesting site for you, http://www.gibraltargenealogy.com

Profile E-mail