Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Portrait
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:06 am 

Good Morning All, I am sure no one here need s reminding of the a certain anniversary today, but does anyone know what was the last official Portrait done of the Great Man?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Portrait
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:53 pm 

I am no expert on Nelson Portraits so I have just had a quick glance at an excellent book called 'The Nelson Portraits' by Richard Walker. In it Mr Walker states that three artists produced works between Nelson's return on 18th August and his final departure for Trafalgar on 14 September. Robert Bowyer and Catherine Andras sketched Nelson at a sitting together. The former's was apparently for a miniature which is now missing but there are examples of this as engravings. Catherine Andras's sketch was for a wax profile which later formed the basis for Boulton's Trafalgar medal.

The third artist named is John Whichelo. This is a chalk drawing which the artist produced at Merton on a visit at the beginning of September 1805.

The book goes on to say there was one more sketch, a drawing possibly by one of Nelson's officers at the birthday party in Nelson's cabin although the officers name is not recorded. This was worked up by a miniature painter William Marshall Craig from which coloured engravings were produced in January 1806.

I hope this information is useful. The book itself is an excellent publication and is well worth reading.

Phil

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Portrait
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

Yes: today as Stephen reminds us is the anniversary of His Lordship's birth.

Many thanks for that post, Phil. I was just about to dig out my copy of Parker but you've saved me the trouble.

One portrait that is not mentioned in Parker is the one in the link below. It is an engraving by Thomas Hodgetts after a portrait by Beechey and is one of my favourites. I think it captures Nelson as a resolute man of action and my engraving of this portrait hangs in my dining room. We shall raise a glass to it at dinner tonight! 'There is but one Nelson'.

Scroll down and click on the image to enlarge:

http://www.grosvenorprints.com/stock.ph ... ch1=Submit