Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Kymin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:08 am 
Site Admin

The discussion on the 'Trafalgar Memorial' thread called to mind the naval temple on The Kymin, near Monmouth in Wales. This commemorates the major naval battles of the 18th century, and in particular, the admirals in command. There is no mention of the men who served.The temple was built before Trafalgar, so that battle is not mentioned, though the Nile is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kymin

It was visited by Nelson and his party during their tour of Wales. Charles Heath, a native of Monmouth who recorded Nelson's visit, observed him as he inspected the monument:

'As his Lordship proceeded round the Temple, I felt a desire to witness the manner of the viewing the painting of his glorious victory, as well as the sensations it might create in his mind: for which purpose I took my station near him. On his Lordship's arrival at this part of the building, he surveyed, with an opera glass which he held in his hand, this representation of his fame with the most calm emotion, as though it had been accomplished by another officer, - after pausing on it for some minutes, he directed his attention to other interesting objects around him.'

Afterwards he commented that 'it was not only one of the most beautiful places he had ever seen, but, to the boast of Monmouth, the Temple was the only Monument of its kind erected to the English Navy in the whole range of the Kingdom'.

If ordinary seamen were not commemorated on the monument, they were remembered by Nelson. He loved the admiration that his exploits earned him, but invariably, when acknowledging compliments, always praised the heroism of all who served. Typically, at Monmouth, he remarked, in thanking the company for drinking his health:

'It was my good fortune to have under my command some of the most experienced officers in the English Navy, whose professional skill was seconded by the undaunted courage of British Sailors; and whatever merit might attach itself to me, I must declare, that I had only to shew them the enemy and VICTORY CROWNED THE STANDARD!'

All this information, and much more, is contained in a facsimile reprint of Charles Heath's eyewitness account, published soon after the visit, which I bought at the Nelson Museum in Monmouth - itself a treasure house of Nelson memorabilia. The collections are almost entirely from a bequest by Lady Llangattock, a lifelong admirer of Nelson who lived nearby. She was, incidentally, the mother of Sir Charles Rolls, who co-founded the famous Rolls-Royce car company.

Post subject: Re: The Kymin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:54 pm 

Here's a little anecdote which may be of interest.

When I first went to the Kymin (10 or more years ago) I was looking at the 12 discs that run around the top of the Naval Temple with the names of various Admirals and the dates of their most famous actions.

I did a double take when I saw the name Rodney and the date 1798. Rodney was of course long dead by 1798.

The discs appeared to be relatively new and I guess were added/replaced during the most recent refurbishment.

Some while later I contacted the National Trust of Wales and politely informed them that they might have made a "boo boo".

I then never thought another thing about it until many, many months later I received a phone call from a lady at the NTOW. She was very apologetic, said that it had been fully investigated and they had indeed made a mistake. She added that all manner of experts and dignitaries had seen the plaques and I was the first person to spot the problem.

She explained that rather than making a new plaque they planned to fill in the incorrect date and paint in the correct one - which indeed they did.

Below are the "before" and "after" photos.

:D :D :D :D

MB

Attachments:
monmouth1.jpg
monmouth1.jpg [ 129.03 KiB | Viewed 10557 times ]
monmouth2.jpg
monmouth2.jpg [ 124.08 KiB | Viewed 10557 times ]

Last edited by Mark Barrett on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:57 am 
Site Admin

Well done, Mark!

I must confess that, despite several visits to the Monmouth Museum, I have not yet visited the Kymin! I shall make it my business to go there next time I'm in Wales.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:17 am 

Anna

I drove from Monmouth up to the top of the Kymin which I imagine is what most people do.

The road was very steep and windy - in fact quite "hairy".

There are quite a few houses alongside the road. Despite the idealistic location I don't envy the residents having to navigate that road every time they leave the house.

Has anyone else driven up that road from Monmouth??

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:31 am 
Site Admin

Visitors to Monmouth and the Kymin might also like to visit Lord Nelson's Secret Garden- details from Google Alert:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/showbiz-an ... -26143612/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:37 am 
Site Admin

Plans to revive Trafalgar commemorations at the Kymin:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11587410

Post subject: £85,000 restoration for Naval Temple at the Kymin, Monmouth
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:55 pm 

The Naval Temple is to get an £85,000 restoration: http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/8 ... 5k_revamp/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:17 pm 

I hope they are careful with "my" plaque! :D

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:39 pm 

I tried to pay my respects at the Kymin the other day, but found it completely hidden from view in scaffolding and cladding. It's good to know the restoration is under way, but we will have to wait to see what date reappears on your plaque, Mark. And yes, the road was pretty 'hairy'!