Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nelson Dispatch back on Track
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:19 am 
Site Admin

It is good to see that the Nelson Dispatch seems to have overcome recent publication problems. The latest edition is dated October 2011, so the correct chronology of publication is now happily restored. The content too goes from strength to strength, not least because the latest edition is enhanced by three excellent articles by forum members. Tony has a piece on the legend of Nelson's blind eye at the battle of Copenhagen which examines, and assesses, with Tony's customary command of scholarly detail, the numerous, sometimes conflicting, accounts surrounding the legendary incident, all in an admirably readable style. Erik Ritter and Kester have two inter-related articles on the loss of two Royal navy ships, HMS St George and HMS Defence, off the coast of Denmark almost 200 years ago in December 2011. Packed with fascinating information and excellent illustrations, both articles bring to life the terror and horror of disaster at sea, the subsequent care of the surviving mariners by the local population, and their honoured commemoration of the dead, even in present times in the Strandingsmuseum. As Kester notes, the disaster brings home to us 'the tremendous power of the unforgiving sea'; but we are also reminded of the compassion that the Danes showed to the victims, living and dead, even though our two countries were enemies at the time - a truly uplifting example of the generosity of the human spirit.

Many congratulations to all three members.

Post subject: Re: Nelson Dispatch back on Track
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:51 pm 

Anna,

Thanks. I have one or two other ideas for articles, but I'll take a bit of a back seat for now - apart from submitting a report about the Thorsminde Commemoration in September.

I was very impressed by both Erik and Tony's articles. Erik's certainly complimented mine, and provided a good background to the difficulties surrounding the raising and display of the artefacts at the Strandings Museum. Tony's piece on one of Nelson's supposed facts, was certainly very illuminating, and illustrates the fact that modern research into some of these 'myths' is very worthwhile, debunking the 'accepted' view of these incidents rather than just repeating them.

As you say, it's good that the Dispatch is back on track. I believe that's largely down to Nick Slope.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:39 am 
Site Admin

Oh! How could I have forgotten to mention forum member EMP who also figures largely in the latest Nelson Dispatch? Owing to his family connection to Sir Alexander Ball, he has been a generous supporter and benefactor of the Nile Clumps project, and specifically the Alexander Clump, named after the ship which Ball captained at the Nile. The outing to the clumps is reported in the Dispatch.

Sorry, Ed!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:10 am 

Yes have had my copy here in Malta, have you joined the 1805 Club yet? :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:52 am 

Thank you for your kind words, Anna. I was inspired by Kester and Jacqui's lead in contributing previous articles, and was glad to be able to contribute something to fit this Danish themed issue. Members of this forum will of course be familiar with some of the content of my article, and those who haven't seen it may rest assured that the forum is given due acknowledgement. The key quote from Lady Malmesbury provided by Jacqui was a vital missing link, and I was pleased to be able to pursue that avenue a little further.

Erik and Kester's articles are fascinating, and the tragedy seems to have almost as much resonance today on the approaching bi-centenary as it must have done 200 years ago. For me, as so often, it is the photos of shoes in the Strandingsmuseum, recovered from the wreck, that really strike home. And you are certainly left agonising over the questions that Kester raises at the end of his article.

And it is indeed good to see the reports and photos of the replanting of the Alexander Clump - especially with photos of Ed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:13 pm 

Tony,

I'm glad you liked the articles, by Erik and myself. Mine, I admit, is a little harrowing to read (as Nick Slope said in one of his e-mails) and it was certainly so researching it. I actually hoped that would come across, and it obvously has, to make it seem real. However, you also can't fudge historical quotes. I just hope it didn't put people off!

You mentioned the shoes in one of Erik's illustrations, and you are right, as I had the same impression on actually seeing not only these but other personal items from the wreck, when I toured the Museum. It is these human items that always bring home the tragedy of any drama like this. If anyone hasn't yet been to see the Strandings Museum, it's well worth a visit. I believe its reasonably straightforward to get there from the UK, by ferry to Esbjerg, and then by train. I can tell you it's not quite so easy from my direction!

Tony, I really liked your article, which you treated in your usual, in-depth and thorough style! (Would we expect anything less!) Apart from anything else, it highlights the fact that history today is, quite rightly, treated with much more scrutiny by historians and researchers than in the past. What went before is not just accepted on face value. It also shows that these 'accepted' episodes from history can either be debunked, or at least seen in another light.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:20 am 

Anna,
No need to apologise as I was unaware of the piece about the Clump Visit until you mentioned it.

Stephen,
With your reference to the 1805 Club, I suppose I had better sign up for the Nelson Society now or at least at the beginning of 2012! :oops:

Tony,
You have now seen me as a spotty 17 year old on Pathe News elsewhere on some other thread and now as a squinting 69 year old on a Nile Clump!! It certainly was hot that day. :oops: :oops:

Herewith is the certificate for the full clump which I dedicated to Captain Alexander John Ball but there are still some individual trees left that would love to be adopted.
Attachment:
NileClump cert-Capt AJB 7x5.jpg
NileClump cert-Capt AJB 7x5.jpg [ 142.75 KiB | Viewed 10607 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:08 pm 

Edward, Would you mind if I posted the certificate on my Facebook page?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:19 pm 

Stephen,
You are welcome as long as you don't require a picture of me!! :roll: :wink: :lol:
Would you also like the certificate of the tree B13 in the Alexander Clump which I have dedicated to the people of Malta?
Attachment:
Alexander Clump B13 The People of Malta.jpg
Alexander Clump B13 The People of Malta.jpg [ 229.17 KiB | Viewed 10587 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:36 am 

Many thanks Edward if you ever get on Facebook I'm administrator of The British in Malta History Group many topics there to read. All welcome.

:D

Profile E-mail