Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Shameless Puff
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

As enthusiasts for Nelson's eighteenth century world in all its aspects, members and viewers at one time or another may well find themselves in Bath, the most elegant spa town of the day. If so, may I recommend an excellent independent bookshop, Mr B's Emporium of Reading Delights, deservedly voted Independent Bookseller of the Year, 2008.

Mr. B's is housed in an elegant 18th century building, there are capacious armchairs, free tea or coffee, a welcoming and highly knowledgeable staff, a friendly and decorously behaved dog called Vlashka and an intriguing and highly personal selection of stock, far removed from the dreary uniformity of the chain booksellers.

Mr B's feeds the soul: as you emerge from this haven of civilisation in a hectic world, you will find yourself many pounds poorer, your shopping bag heavier and your heart uplifted.

http://www.mrbsemporium.com/

I have no shares in the company! Just a very happy customer who wants the world to know Mr B's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:42 am 

Tycho,

Sounds as though a gentlemen from the eighteenth century might walk in and nobody would turn a hair - not least the dog. Perhaps I'll look it up, the next time I'm in Bath. Now where can I get an eighteenth century costume, naval of course...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:54 am 
Site Admin

18th century costume, naval, military, Mr Darcy elegant?

Go to the Costume Department of the Theatre Royal, Bath - which is actually in Frome. They have another contact in Devon whose historic naval and military uniforms are absolutely authentic down to the last detail. We hired most of our costumes from there for our memorable Trafalgar dinner in 2005 though Ian saved himself money and went as a seaman, with rolled up trousers, striped jersey, spotted neckerchief and my summer boater trimmed with an HMS Victory ribbon - not authentic, I fear!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:45 pm 

Anna,

Thanks for the tip.

I hope Ian knuckled his forehead to all the 'nobs', as would become an ordinary seaman! Pray may we ask what you were dressed in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

I have to say Ian looked more like a Venetian gondolier than Jack Tar!

I wore a white muslin high-waisted 'Empire line' dress topped with an 'overdress' of gold brocade, and a wonderful black velvet hat/head-dress with a curving white plume, and carried a beautiful ivory fan. I'm glad to say I was seated next to an 'officer' resplendent in gold braid, cocked hat, frilly starched shirt, silver buckled shoes - the lot, and got an obsequious bow from Ian 'Jack' Tar below the salt!