Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nelson and Google Earth - The Nile Clumps
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:11 pm 

Google Earth is getting some pretty bad press at the moment. Complaints of snooping, providing tools for burglars etc. etc.

But here is an interesting, Nelson-related, side issue that has come out of the project.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1173917/Nelsons-battlefield-Google-Earth-finds-forgotten-clumps-trees-planted-living-map-commemorate-Admirals-victory-Battle-Nile.html

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:16 am 
Site Admin

yet another super find, Mark - and not far from me, either.

Most people know about the woods planted to commemorate the 200th aniversary of Trafalgar but here is the link anyway:

http://www.treeforall.org.uk/trafalgar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

Those of you who have received your Nelson Dispatch will know that the 'Nile Clumps', the trees planted in Wiltshire to mark the victory of the battle of the Nile , are undergoing partial restoration. A plaque has been unveiled informing the public of the history behind the planting.

There are trees waiting to be sponsored so I have sent an email to Amesbury Rotary, who are supporting the restoration, asking to sponsor a tree on behalf of this forum. I think planting a tree is a wonderful way to commemorate the past and look to the future.

If anyone would like to sponsor a tree on his/her own behalf, send me a PM and I'll let you have the contact email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

I thought members would like to know that there is now a beech tree sponsored by www.nelsonandhisworld.co.uk among the Nile Clumps. It is number 31 in the clump representing H.M.S. Minotaur, later captained at Trafalgar by Charles Mansfield, Tony's great (x several) grandfather.

If anyone visits the site, maybe you will pay your respects to number 31.

I am not sure whether the original trees were beeches; the link below gives a brief history of the beech, and says it was popular in plantings in the eighteenth century.

http://www.tree2mydoor.com/products/tre ... .asp?id=14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:41 am 

Anna,

That's great news, and also because it is in the Minotaur clump. Can you tell us where it is situated and does it have a plaque, or did I miss that? I guess it's a bit too young for a picture yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

Kester:

I will get a certificate noting the location of the tree and our sponsorship. I had a choice between Goliath and Minotaur so I chose Minotaur because of the connection with Captain Mansfield.

I'll try and get over to Wiltshire some time to have a look and take a photograph of the location etc. but that will be mid-November at the earliest as I have a hectic schedule until then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:21 pm 

Anna,

Good thinking to go with the Minotaur clump, I'm sure Tony would agree!

Please don't 'bust a gut' on my account! Whenever you can make it, it would be nice to know the exact location – then perhaps I can get my sister to drive me over there, if it's not too far, on one of the occasions I go to visit her. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:01 pm 

I certainly do agree. The Minotaur clump is an excellent choice, Anna. Although, as Anna pointed out in her earlier post, the Minotaur was not Mansfield’s ship until several years later, I am very keen on all aspects of the Minotaur’s history. In fact I must update minotaur.org!

What I have done is have a play with Google Maps. The Nile Clumps were already identified, but I though I would have a go at identifying the individual ships. This is work in progress, but click here for the result so far – which should give you the precise location of the Minotaur clump, Kester. Make sure you are switched to satellite view to actually see the trees! But I can't quite make out the label on tree number 31. :wink:

The best source of information on the Nile Clumps is here: http://addiator.blogspot.com/2008/07/re ... lumps.html - which is where I got my information.

I am not sure if I have correctly identified the Goliath, Spartiate and L’Aquilon, so if you can help please let me know. In fact if anyone would like to collaborate with me in adding more information to the map in Google, please PM me (or email me) with your email address and I can get you set up as a co-editor of this map.

Anna, when you do eventually go, can you please also take a photo of the information on the National Trust notice boards?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

Many thanks for that very informative post, Tony. I note the original planting consisted of beech trees - wonderfully stately when they are fully grown.

Yes, I will certainly photograph the info on the NT notice board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:12 pm 

Tony,

Many thanks. Not far from Stonehenge then and I'm sure my sister knows where that is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:45 am 

Hooray!

My Nelson Dispatch has arrived and lo, and behold, (it is getting near that time) on page 160, there is an article on the Nile Clumps.

Verily, I shall read thereof with great interest!

Post subject: Re: Nelson and Google Earth - The Nile Clumps
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:33 am 

How place our area or house in Google earth? I want to place my photos and house on Google earth so that everyone can see it from their house.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:48 pm 

Hi paholsky, These might help:

http://earth.google.com/userguide/v4/
http://earth.google.com/userguide/v4/ug ... tures.html
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid ... ogle+earth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:10 am 

I have just stumbled upon this thread of clumps and as usual found the subject extremely interesting—naturally!
Are there any updates or photos and how would go about applying to sponsor a tree in the “Alexander” clump?
There is a large privately-owned Douglas Fir and Larch plantation attached to my garden which has been recently thinned and Beeches are springing up making use of the extra light. I am hoping that when the Pines are eventually felled in a few years that the Beeches will be allowed to remain. My own Beeches are certainly spectacular at this time of year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:44 am 
Site Admin

Hi Ed,

I'll send you contact details by private message so that you can sponsor a tree in the Nile Clumps. Do tell them of your connection to AJB!