Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pardon sought for Admiral Byng
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

The descendants of Admiral Byng, famously shot 'pour encourager les autres' are seeking, without much success so far, to obtain a pardon for Byng.

I know little about the case other than vague memories from history lessons. I had always understood that the charge was cowardice, but it appears that it was 'neglect of duty'. The sentence, in that case, seems extraordinarily severe. Other recent reports speak of witness intimidation and false testimony. It seems a truly shocking affair. Is there a short book or chapter in a book that anyone can refer me to? I am busy with other things, but I'd like to follow this up while it is fresh in the news.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:52 pm 

The relevant clause of the Articles of War read as follows:

Every Person in the Fleet, who through Cowardice, Negligence, or
Disaffection, shall in Time of Action withdraw or keep, or not come
into the Fight or Engagement, or shall not to do his utmost to take or
destroy every Ship which it shall be his Duty to engage, and to assist
and relieve all and every of his Majesty’s Ships, or those of his Allies,
which it shall be his Duty to assist and relieve, every such Person so
offending, and being convicted thereof the Sentence of a Court-martial,
shall suffer death.

I think that in particular, he was convicted of not doing his utmost to take or destroy every Ship which it shall be his Duty to engage.

In the battle, I think it was more a question of incompetence, and a slavish adherence to the Fighting Instructions, but his withdrawal to Gibraltar afterwards was extraordinary.

There are a couple of pages on the affair in 'The Command of the Ocean' by N.A.M.Rodger, which seems to provide a good analysis, and there is an interesting article in the 2007 Trafalgar Chronicle, 'Pour Encourager Les Autres' by Chris Ware

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:48 pm 

I suggest you find a copy of 'Seize The Fire' by Adam Nicholson.

Here is a passage with regards to what you are looking for:

No figure loomed more symbolically over the naval mythology of the 18th century than Admiral John Byng. Among navy men, he stood as an example of the honourable naval officer who had been betrayed by a combination of deceitful politicians, and a crude, vengeful mob.

He had been sent to the Mediterranean with a fleet that was inadquate in size, inadiquately manned, and inadiquately equipped. His task was to relieve the seige which the French were laying to the British garrison in Minorca. On May 20 1755, he engaged their fleet under Admiral de la Galissoniere, with the sort of inconclusive results which 18th century naval battle often produced. His own leading ships were severely mauled by the French; de La Glassoniere had adroitly withdrawn to leeward when it looked as if Byng was about to attack him with the centre and rear of the British fleet and Byng soon decided to withdraw himself to the safety of Gibraltar.

Every aspect of what he did, given his inadequate force, had been perfectly reasonable, without being in any way heroic, but as a result, the Mediterranean base of Minorca had been lost to the British.

The government ministers did their best to blame Byng, and the English broadstreet writers rubbed their hands with pleasure.

'Seize the Fire' pages 168-169

Seize the Fire is absolutely indespensible if one is looking for information about what went on in the minds of Britons -particularly soldiers and sailors- during Nelson's time. The book is framed with the battle of Trafalgar, and probably contains one of the most violent and gorey accounts of that action.

Well worth looking into!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you, both, for those recommendations.

In the meantime, I have had a superficial glance at one or two articles which incline me to the view that Byng was appallingly treated. He had, apparently, warned the Admiralty that he was totally unequipped to do what they demanded. Also, the Articles of War had been recently amended precisely to ensure that officers of all ranks, even the highest, would face death for negligence as well as cowardice, and Byng, the admiral, was shot to confirm official resolve in this matter, despite the mitigating circumstances. I look forward to learning more when time permits.

Billy, Adam Nicholson's book looks interesting. I found his 'Men of Honour' an excellent read, and beautifully written, but, as you say, unbelievably bloody. His descriptions of Trafalgar are not for the squeamish.

Last edited by tycho on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:04 pm 

Byng was certainly appallingly treated, but Rodger picks various holes in the traditional version of the affair. The Government fell before the court martial started. The new Government formed by Pitt was friendly towards Byng, and Pitt referred to him as his 'gallant and worthy friend'. The Government appointed a president to the court martial who was sympathetic towards Byng, but he was convicted by the weight of professional opinion, the majority of naval officers being against him. Government ministers, through the 1st Lord of the Admiralty, tried to obtain a pardon from the King, but failed, managing to accuse the King of cowardice in the process, which could hardly have helped.

It could certainly be said that Byng acted reasonably during the battle, following conventional tactics, and refusing to abandon the line of battle, the rear division were unable to engage to support the van. It should be remembered that Mathews had been court martialled and found guilty the previous decade as result of attacking without properly forming the line. The French disengaged by turning downwind, and Byng could certainly have engaged them by turning downwind himself (his captain suggested it to him). But that would have meant abandoning his strict line of battle.

After the French disengaged and departed, the English had the upper hand. The besieged garrison still commanded the entrance to Port Mahon, and the French troops were short of supplies. Had Byng remained and succeeded in blocking supplies, the siege would have failed. He might even have been able to do that without necessarily engaging the French fleet again. Had he previously obeyed his original orders to embark troops at Gibraltar, he could also have landed reinforcements.

Ironically, Byng had been on the panel of judges at both Lestock and Mathews' court martials which were a travesty of justice and which prompted the very change in the articles of war which resulted in Byng's own execution.

This is not a subject I have read much about, and I may well be guilty of misinterpretation, so fire away!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:18 am 

Thanks for the "Men of Honour" heads up Tycho. I do believe that that will be my next indulgence after making my way through Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series. Nine down, eleven-and-a-half to go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:28 am 

Tycho,

I know little enough about the Byng episode either, although this will prompt me to read more about it. However, the demand for a reprieve does not seem to be as clear cut as many would think although, of course, their will be differing opinions about it. The family, naturally, demanded one, although I believe it has just been turned down by the government. I don't know how they arrived at their conclusion.

I might be worth mentioning that one of the today's eminent naval historians, I believe Andrew Lambert, actually didn't agree that Byng should be receive a pardon. Having read and greatly enjoyed his thought-provoking book, 'Nelson - Britannia's God of War' - in which he convincingly, amongst other things, completely refutes the argument that Nelson was responsible for the terror in Naples in 1799 - I wouldn't lightly dismiss his view of the Byng episode.

Kester

Post subject: Andrew Lambert's view
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:56 am 
Site Admin

Kester -

can you point me in the direction of Andrew Lambert's comment on Byng, please? Was it in a newspaper or journal article?

I agree with you on his 'Britannia's God of War': a very thorough examination and refutation of 'The Black Legend'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:26 pm 

Tycho,

I have only this short comment from the Telegraph, although it would be advantageous to us to be able read his views in full. A complete explanation would probably explain his reasons for saying that Byng didn't deserve a pardon in his view. As I said, I don't think we should dismiss lightly the views of such an eminant historian.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... byng13.xml

I will see if I can find anything more.

Kester

Post subject: Re: Pardon sought for Admiral Byng
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:56 am 
Site Admin

Augustus Hervey's Journal (Ed. David Erskine, Chatham Publishing 2002), which I am plodding through, gives a very interesting contemporary account of the Byng affair. Hervey actually commanded the 'Phoenix' at Minorca and gives a detailed account of the action, accompanied by exquisite illustrations of the progress of events. He is sympathetic throughout to Byng, with whom he was close friends, so his account of the battle and subsequent events is not an unbiased one. However, while opinions about Byng vary, some of the more shameful facts of the case are not in dispute, most glaringly, that Augustus Keppel, one of the members of the court martial, was uneasy about the verdict and 'stammered out' in the House of Commons that he 'wished to be released from his oath of secrecy in order to divulge the reasons which had induced him to so strongly recommend Admiral Byng to mercy and saying they had condemned him against their consciences.' A bill was brought before Parliament which would have absolved members of the court martial from their oath of secrecy and was passed by the Commons. Before it came before the Lords, other members of the board who had been in agreement with Keppel, mysteriously recanted, so the bill did not pass into law. 'They all declared, except Moore, Norris and Keppel, they did not want the bill, and even those three almost denied what Mr Keppel had himself declared in the House of Commons.' so the bill was rejected by the Lords. 'The amazement which was expressed on everyone's countenance was sufficient to show their dissatisfaction and indignation at the Lord rejecting this Bill which would certainly have brought to light some infamous work that lay concealed under all these proceedings.' Byng's fate was sealed.

Hervey gives a very touching testimony to his friendship with Byng. He actually tried to arrange an escape, by organising sets of horses to be saddled, and having ready a Dutch fishing boat to take him to France. He found Byng under close arrest, 'even 'centuries' [sentries] in his gallery and in boats moored head and stern of the ship, an officer in his cabin, and people set every four hours to look into his bed to see if he was there.'

Byng behaved with great dignity wheh he met Hervey, denouncing the judgement but freely forgiving his abusers. He would not countenance taking up Hervey's offer of an escape. 'He thanked me, but would never think of it; he would rather die than fly from death that way'.

Byng left Hervey a clock in his will, with the words, 'May time serve you better than he has served me' - 'which clock I have and will keep as long as I live'.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:37 am 

I used to work with a distant relative of Admiral Byng.

I believe he was a descendant of Byng's brother.

Incidentally he had a personalised registration on his car - M 8YNG.

That's today's piece of useless information. :D

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Today is the anniversary of the execution of Admiral Byng. Alex Massie, the novelist, who writes a blog on the on-line Spectator, posted the following comment today (14 March):

http://www.spectator.co.uk/alexmassie/6 ... byng.thtml

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:22 am 
Site Admin

Admiral Byng's family continues to campaign for a pardon and a bell tolls in his native village on the anniversary of his execution. His tomb in the family vault reads: "To the perpetual Disgrace of public Justice, the Honourable John Byng, Admiral of the Blue, Fell a Martyr to Political persecution on 14th March in the year 1757, when Bravery and Loyalty were insufficient Securities for the Life and Honour of a Naval Officer".