Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Emma Hamilton before Nelson
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:18 pm 

While researching another subject I recently found a reference to Emma Hamilton having been romantically linked with another British naval officer before meeting Nelson.

Unfortunately, I didn't note the source and when I tried to find it again later I couldn't.

Has anyone else read this?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

Several early biographies mention a story that Emma was reputedly seduced by Captain John Willet Payne but as Mollie Hardwicke notes in her biography of Emma:

'[It is] difficult to verify her rumoured connection with Captain John Willet Payne R.N., said to have been her first lover. No evidence exists for this. However, the adage that there is no smoke without fire is peculiarly true of the small world of 18th century London.'

Other tales say that Willet Payne agreed to obtain the release of a relative of Emma's from the press gang if she succumbed to his attentions; but this seems very fanciful.

Walter Sichel, who wrote a sympathetic and well-researched biography of Emma also notes that there is no evidence, despite many rumours, of her involvement with him:

'The name of her betrayer has been constantly and circumstantially given as that of Captain, later Rear Admiral, John Wllet Payne...tradition has it that she first encountered him in a bold attempt to rescue her cousin from being impressed in the service. This may or may not be.'

Willet Payne had a reputation as a courageous officer, but he had an unsavoury side too, as procurer to the Prince of Wales, and also the man who paid off mistresses when they were surplus to requirements. The Prince gave him £10,000 to pay off one paramour, but Willet Payne negotiated the sum down to £3000! He was also notoriously foul-mouthed. He made Admiral of the Blue, was Treasurer of Greenwich Hospital and died there of a stroke in 1803 (some sources say 1802.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:52 pm 

thanks much. You saved me some hours of attempting to retrace my steps through various books.

Profile E-mail