Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nelson mourning ring to be auctioned tomorrow
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:30 pm 

Details here of a Nelson mourning ring to be auctioned tomorrow in Somerset:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 661280.ece

It will be interesting to see what price it realises especially in comparison with prices realised in 2005 at the Trafalgar bi-centenary auctions.

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:41 am 
Site Admin

The sale today will take place in Crewkerne, a pretty, small Somerset town which has some connection with Nelson. Thomas Hardy was educated at Crewkerne Grammar School (though they didn't do much for his spelling - 'mare' for 'mayor', and 'trooth' for 'truth' being two examples.) I knew that sail making had also been a prominent local trade and when I Gooled for more information, came across a site that said the sails for Nelson's Victory were made in Crewkerne. I always believed they were made in Dundee. Anyhow, here it is:

http://www.oldemaps.co.uk/crewkerne-map.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:00 am 

Anna

I believe most of the raw canvas was manufactured in the Dundee area but fabrication of the actual sails took place in various other locations.

Somewhere in the loft I have an audio tape of a BBC programme about this traditional Dundee industry.

Wish I could remember more but one thing I recall is that blue threads were included in the canvas that was for use by the Navy - obviously so that it could be readily identified and therefore was much less likely to be stolen or otherwise "diverted".

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:42 am 
Site Admin

Off topic, as usual - but the west country counties of Somerset, Devon, Cornwall and Dorset are all closely connected with the sea: great recruiting grounds for the Royal Navy, heavily involved in fishing, and the associated trades of sail-making and rope-making. Bridport in Dorset was a great centre for ropes - both for the sea and for the hangman - rope from Bridport was known as a 'Bridport dagger'.

It's amazing what a little Goolging turns up, such as this link about ropemaking and a whipping technique known as 'West country whip'n.'

http://www.animatedknots.com/westcountr ... dknots.com

If anyone has anything to add, maybe we'd better continue it on a new thread 'Sails and sailmaking' or some such?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

We took it into our heads to drive to Crewkerne - not very far from here - to see what happened at the auction. Well, the mourning ring went for -

eighteen thousand pounds! Then, of course, there's the buyer's premium of 20% plus VAT - say another £4000 in all. Twenty two thousand. Phew.