Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Privateers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:39 pm 

Do we know approximately how many British privateers were operating during the Nelson era?

Am I right that there were many more French (and later American) privateers than British.

I read this description:

Quote:
H.M.S. " Attentive," had been told off to convoy the Packet and the mails from Barbados through the archipelago of islands, among which (French) privateers swarmed almost as thickly as the sea birds.

I can't imagine there was anywhere in the world that British privateers were found in these numbers??!!

Can anyone recommend a book to learn more about this subject?

Thanks

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:18 am 

A good study of British privateering is David Starkey's "British Privateering Enterprise" published by the University of Exeter back in 1990. He used contemporary documents, particularly the applications for letters of marque; prize papers etc. to analyse the business, concentrating on 1702 - 1783.

He gives the figures for 1793 - 1801 as: 1,795 vessels

and for 1803-1815 : 1,810 vessels

These figures include the colonies, so Canada, the West Indies and India is included.

Broken down by ports, the largest number were from Liverpool (630 in 1793-1801 and 401 in the later period); followed by London and the Channel Islands. Most seaports in the Uk seem to have had a privateer or two.

This is far more that the U.S. manned ships; Coggeshall in his "History of American Privateers" lists 210 vessels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:25 am 

The French, by adopting the 'war on trade', did rely on privateers more than the British.

The actual numbers? Alain Demerliac in "Nomenclature des navires francais" lists 1,487 French privateers in service between 1793 and 1799; and for 1800 to 1815 1,408....

Comparing the figures therefore....the British had more privateers than either France or the US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:43 am 

Comparing the figures therefore....the British had more privateers than either France or the US.

Actually, on second thoughts, it may not be quite that straightforward .... Starkey's figures are for the issue of Letters of Marque - this would include those merchant vessels actually on a trading voyage, but sought to have the right to take prizes if the opportunity arose. Sorting out which were 'genuine' privateers, and those letters of marque may not be easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:00 pm 

Hi P

Thanks for the information and your deliberations.

Those numbers from Starkey do seem very high. If possible I will get hold of his book and see what more I can make out of it.

I conducted my own VERY UNSCIENTIFIC experiment as follows:

I searched the Times archive from 1793 to 1815 using the terms "English Privateer", "British Privateer" and "Letter of Marque". For the first 2 there were negligible results and for the third just 90.

When I searched on "French Privateer" I got 900 results.

I appreciate that this disparity may just depend on what and how the Times was reporting. But it does support my gut feel that there were many more ACTIVE French privateers than British.

Thanks again.

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:21 pm 

Another quick experiment - I searched the content of the Dictionary of National Biography and again very many references to French privateers and very few to British privateers.

I DID find one seemingly very succesful British privateer captain - Thomas Goodall.

Quote:
. . . . . On his return to England, he is said to have been appointed to the frigate Diadem, but he does not seem to have joined her; he was certainly not entered on the ship's books. He accepted the command of a small privateer, and continued in her until the peace of 1801, during which period he was said to have made more voyages, fought more actions, and captured more prizes than had ever been seized before in the same time by any private ship.

When war broke out again, Goodall fitted out a small privateer of ten guns and forty men, in which, on 25 July 1803, he fell in with, and after a stubborn defence was captured by, La Caroline, a large privateer, and again taken to Lorient. He and his men were sent on to Rennes, and thence to Espinal, from where he escaped with one of his officers. After many hardships and adventures they reached the Rhine, succeeded in crossing it, and so made their way to Berlin, whence they travelled on to England.

On the outbreak of war with Spain, Goodall again obtained command of a privateer, and in her captured a treasure ship from Vera Cruz. He afterwards touched at San Domingo, and having made some acquaintance with Christophe, one of two rival black leaders engaged in a civil war, he was induced to put his ship and his own services at Christophe's disposal. His assistance may have turned the scales in Christophe's favour. Goodall was considered by the governor of Jamaica to have acted improperly, and so was sent home in 1808. On his arrival he was released, and shortly after moved to Haiti—he claimed he was ‘Admiral of Hayti’—coming home in 1810 and again in 1812.

Goodall was said to have remitted to his agent in England—William Fletcher, an attorney—very large sums of money, totalling £120,000. The amount was probably exaggerated, but it seems clear that it was considerable. However, he now found himself a bankrupt by the chicanery of Fletcher, who had not only robbed him of his fortune but also of his wife; although the mother of eight children by Goodall, six of whom were living, Charlotte had become Fletcher's mistress. In July 1813, Goodall brought an action for ‘criminal conversation’ and it was deposed at the trial that during her husband's imprisonment and absence Mrs Goodall had supported her family by acting; but there was no suspicion of misconduct by her until she was seduced by Fletcher. The jury, taking this view, awarded the injured husband £5000 damages. Nothing further is known of Goodall, but it would seem probable that he lived privately until his death, which is said to have taken place in 1832.

P - I think you may be right about many British merchant ships applying for Letters of Marque - "just in case". This would cover them legally if they should happen to meet with an enemy and have a chance of capturing it.

MB

Profile E-mail