Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Seaman's Power of Attorney
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:46 am 
Site Admin

I have acquired a very interesting volume , ‘The Instructor, or Young Man’s best Companion’ by George Fisher, Accomptant, published in 1798 by Miller, Cadell & Cator.

In addition to all sorts of information on handwriting, spelling, arithmetic, book-keeping, astronomy, geography etc. etc. there is a chapter on the writing of letters – with amusing examples - and wills. There is also a specimen ‘letter of Attorney by a Seaman’ whereby a man away from home can permit another to handle his affairs in his stead. It makes interesting reading:

Know all men by these presents, that I, Timothy Tarpaulin, mariner, now belonging to his majesty’s ship the Rye, for divers good causes and considerations me thereunto moving, have, and by these presents do make my trusty friend Henry Hearty, citizen and baker of London, (or my beloved wife, Penelope Tarpaulin), my true and lawful attorney, for me, and in my name, and for my use, to ask, demand and receive, of and from the Right Honourable the treasurer and paymaster to his Majesty’s navy, and the Commissioners of the prize money, and by whom else it may concern, as well as such pay, bounty money, prize money, and all other sums of money whatsoever, as now are, and which hereafter shall or may be due, or payable unto me; also all such pensions, salaries, smart money, or any other money and things whatsoever, which now are or at any time hereafter may be due to me for my service or otherwise, in any one of his ship or ships, frigates or vessels; giving and hereby granting the said attorney full and whole power to take, pursue and follow such legal ways and courses, for the recovery, receiving, and obtaining and discharging upon the said sum or sums of money, or any of them, as I myself might, or could do, were I personally present……’ in witness thereof…etc. etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:36 pm 

Anna

Very interesting.

I hadn't heard of this book before.

One thing that I find so fascinating about this era is that parts of it were extremely "laissez faire" - bordering regularly on the chaotic.

But running parallel with that were aspects of society that were both well-ordered and extremely sophisticated.

I remember being shocked that the first edition of Encyclopedia Britannica was published in 1768.

So the members of society who had a level of wealth, the ability to read, and the time to learn could be extremely erudite.

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:51 pm 

P.S.

We have often remarked here on the quality of Nelson's letters as regards content, style etc.

Then you learn that there were books like this available - quite likely others - with:

Quote:
a chapter on the writing of letters – with examples

Once again - obvious when you know - but something I had never thought about before!! :D :D :D

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Seaman's Power of Attorney
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:16 pm 

Thanks for sharing the great information

Profile E-mail